Are you looking for a unique and exciting way to explore the beautiful beaches of Destin, Florida? If so, watching dolphins in their natural habitat is a great activity! But what is the best time of year to see dolphins in Destin FL?
Destin is known for its abundant marine life. Dolphins are some of the most popular animals to observe and can often be seen year-round in the area.
Although you can find many opportunities to observe these beautiful creatures in Destin, it is important to remember that they are a protected species. Regulations are in place to ensure their safety.
If this is included in your bucket list, make sure to read on as we answer, what is the best time of the year to see dolphins in Destin, FL?
Dolphins In Destin, FL
The Gulf of Mexico is home to many different types of dolphins, and the waters around Destin, Florida are no exception.
The most commonly spotted dolphin in this region is the bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops truncatus), which can be identified by its blue-gray color and strong, round body shape.
Enjoy the best of Destin, FL when you stay at Papaya Paradise, a Destin beach house located in the Crystal Beach area of Destin in the Exclusive gated community of Destiny East.
Bottlenose dolphins typically range in size from 6 to 12 feet and can live up to 50 years. The Atlantic spotted dolphin is also sometimes seen in the Indian Ocean off the coast of Destin.
Dolphins are highly intelligent animals with complex social structures, so it’s no surprise that they are a popular tourist attraction for visitors to Destin.
What Is The Best Time Of Year To See Dolphins In Destin FL?
The dolphins of Destin are pretty much present year-round, this is beacuse the waters remain warm all year. However, if you’re looking for the best time of the year to see dolphins in Destin FL, it would have to be during the late spring to early summer months.
During these times, the male dolphins are joined by female dolphins from other areas who come for the mating season. This influx of dolphins results in larger pods of dolphins which makes for excellent viewing opportunities!
As for the time of the day, early mornings to mid afternoon tend to be the best time to spot dolphins. The waters are calmer and less cluttered with boat traffic during this period which makes it a great opportunity for dolphin sighting.
However, you can still see dolphins just about any time of day! So make sure you keep your eyes peeled wherever you go in Destin FL!
What is the best way to spot dolphins in Destin, Florida
There are several ways to spot dolphins in Destin, Florida. Here are your options;
- Dolphin spotting cruise: These cruises are typically conducted on larger boats that will take you out into the Gulf of Mexico, where you’ll have the opportunity to see and photograph these majestic creatures.
- Spot dolphins from the beach: Keep your eyes peeled for any signs of dolphins while walking the on the sands of Elgin Beach Park or Henderson State Park. Dolphins are often spotted swimming in the surf close to shore or further out, so you might be lucky enough to see them.
- While riding a boat: Rent a boat or a guided boat tour for the best chance of spotting dolphins. Tours often will take you toward the best areas for dolphin sightings. Double-decker pontoon boats are ideal for dolphin spotting.
- From a hotel balcony: Choose a beachfront hotel that offers rooms with balconies. Make sure you have binoculars with you and you’ll be able to watch dolphins from a distance. Renting a Destin Beach house is another great option if you’re planning to spend several days in Destin, FL.
- Okaloosa Island Pier: The Okaloosa Island Pier is a great spot to watch some wildlife including dolphins!
*Keep in mind that it’s important to be mindful of the law and respectful of wildlife when dolphin spotting- always maintain a distance from dolphins and never attempt to touch, feed or swim alongside them. This will ensure their safety and yours.